Lewis Hamilton is confident that McLaren has made a step forward with its new MP4-26. Autosport presents new McLaren with headlines "F1 gets sexy" and "McLaren goes radical".
Jerez - day 1
1. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m20.709s 101
2. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m21.483s + 0.774s 95
3. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m21.522s + 0.813s 94
4. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m21.755s + 1.046s 37
5. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.914s + 1.205s 58
6. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m22.689s + 1.980s 42
7. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m23.472s + 2.763s 28
8. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m23.504s + 2.795s 57
9. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m23.963s + 3.254s 68
10. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m24.458s + 3.749s 53
11. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m25.086s + 4.377s 42
12. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m34.968s + 14.259s 14
Mark Webber's best time may only have been good enough for third overall, but it was set on the first of a six-lap run. The Red Bull RB7 once again showed impressive consistency of pace over several longer runs.
It was another day of testing that Mercedes has completed without yet showing any signs of a frontrunning pace.
Williams technical director Sam Michael conceded Thursday proved to be a disappointing day for the team after being unable to get significant running done.
Jerez - day 2
1. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m20.352s 112
2. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m20.413s + 0.061s 116
3. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.009s + 0.657s 69
4. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m21.214s + 0.862s 72
5. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m21.613s + 1.261s 113
6. Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1m21.780s + 1.428s 73
7. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m21.857s + 1.505s 56
8. Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1m22.208s + 1.856s 57
9. Vitaly Petrov Renault 1m22.493s + 2.141s 65
10. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1m22.591s + 2.239s 38
11. Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1m23.216s + 2.864s 40
Despite the fastest time, it took a lot of laps for Schumacher times to stabilise - and when they did they were around a second slower than where Red Bull was on similar runs.
It was another quiet day for Red Bull, with Mark Webber once again producing impressive long-run times without setting any headline-grabbing single laps. It was the 19-lap run largely in the 1m24s that highlighted the potential - as nobody else was able to lap consistently at that pace on such a long stint.
Jenson Button believes that Pirelli's new tyres are going to make the racing 'fun' in 2011. Autosport.com believes that new tyres will help Button. New tyres were problem for Sutil: "The medium tyre we have here is different to before, and I was not so confident on that, not so happy," Sutil said at the end of the day.
Jerez - day 3
1. Nick Heidfeld Renault 1m20.361s 86
2. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m20.493s + 0.132s 131
3. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m21.054s + 0.693s 114
4. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m21.099s + 0.738s 36
5. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m21.242s + 0.881s 84
6. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m21.574s + 1.213s 98
7. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m21.681s + 1.320s 92
8. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m21.711s + 1.350s 61
9. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m22.227s + 1.866s 99
10. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m22.945s + 2.584s 64
11. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m25.471s + 5.110s 72
Renault team boss Eric Boullier said Nick Heidfeld made a very strong first impression as he set the quickest time in testing on his debut with the squad at Jerez today.
Williams was once again delayed by a KERS problem, though Rubens Barrichello was able to get through a variety of mid-length stints after lunch and end up ninth.
Jerez - day 4
1. Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1m19.832s 103
2. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m20.601s + 0.769s 86
3. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m21.074s + 1.242s 115
4. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m21.213s + 1.381s 90
5. Bruno Senna Renault 1m21.400s + 1.568s 68
6. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1m21.632s + 1.800s 43
7. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m22.103s + 2.271s 45
8. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m22.222s + 2.390s 90
9. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m22.278s + 2.446s 70
10. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1m22.985s + 3.153s 45
11. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m23.111s + 3.279s 99